Today was one of those hot, dangerously sunny, slow, and delightfully perfect days. The kind of day you wish you could just suck in a bottle and keep so you can pull it out when your day isn’t so great. It was also one of those days where I can’t believe I am actually able to live a day like today. I have seen days like today many times before, and in fact, I have been living days like today every single day since I have been on the island; but today has left me with a peaceful rest – not exhaustion and not boredom – but complete contentment.
I set my alarm for 6 a.m. this morning. That was pointless because every single morning between 5:15 and 5:55, this boat with its blue light at the bow, eases its way slowly near the shoreline and the blue light shining catches my attention and wakes me up. I found out that this is a large fishing boat. This morning the faithful boat came around, and sure enough, I woke up. As I was lying there I thought that now would be a perfect time to get up since I was just lying there anyway. The point of me getting up was so I could get out to the beach before the sun so I could get the best seashells right after they washed up to shore (I making a seashell frame and want only the best shells displayed). Even though I was awake, I decided I was just going to fall back asleep and get up when I felt like it. I didn’t feel like it, apparently, until 10:30. (By the way, I didn’t have to work today, if you didn’t get that yet.)
Of course, it was another beautiful day, and the ocean was calling. I made some coffee and oatmeal, put on my bathing suit and sunscreen and headed the shore. I always set up my ‘area’ as close to the shoreline as possible to get a nice breeze from the gulf. Today, however, no breeze was cool enough. In between long walks along the beach, reading my book, and trying patiently to rest my eyes as I tanned, I pretty much sweated through my beach towel and chair. I finally could take it no longer, and with a desperate jump I ran the 3 feet separating me from the salty sea. The water temperature is 84 degrees – 84 degrees! – and you could just float for hours. I did handstands and just sort of laid in the water, happy the salt kept me floating naturally. The water was so calm today, barely any waves or movement, and when I noticed that, I took advantage of it and swam. I swam for quite some time and quite some distance. When I finally stopped and looked to see how far away I was I was shocked; shocked not only from the sense that I swam that far and didn’t notice, but also shocked at my surroundings. The Gulf was a corally (yes, I just coined that word) mix of colors and crystal clear. The sky was a brilliant blue with the strangest shaped white clouds I have ever seen, hung in perfect formation. A giant flock of pelicans were straight ahead floating along and every now and then one would fly up in the air and then nose dive into the water to catch a fish (did you know pelicans go blind after a certain number of years for this reason?). It was one of those moments when I had to stop and ask myself if I was really in that moment or rather just watching a movie of some other girl swimming in the sea.

Even though the day was perfect, it was hot, and this summer Florida sun is damaging so I decided I should go in and head to town. I drove the six passenger golf cart (more to come on her later), parked it and made my way from one boutique to the next. I love all of the shops, mostly because they have their own island flare that you would never find anywhere else. I bought a big turquoise ring at Fresh Produce and then made my way to Aqua. Aqua has tons of dresses, and it just so happened that I had been looking all over for a dress to buy to wear to a few weddings this summer. I found a lot I liked, but they all looked the same and I wanted something unique. I found several ‘fun’ dresses at Aqua, and one in particular caught my eye; one full length sleeve and the other side sleeveless with a light pink and black color. I don’t have anything like that, and although it may take a little getting used to, the dress just spoke to me (I know, okay? I love to shop.). I texted the women in my family and all of my girlfriends pictures of the dress to make sure I wasn’t about to make a horrible mistake. I justified the price by reminding myself I have a goal (which is true) to buy a dress from every place I visit or stay an extended amount of time. This dress so says “Classic Island” to me.

Before I headed back home, I stopped in Dolphin Cove and got a pop. As I was crossing the street, my friend Lindsay called me telling me that she, like I earlier, was dying of heat at the beach and wanting to know if I wanted to do something. Of course I did! Her and I jumped back in the golf cart and headed to Miller’s (a marina which also has great drinks and food) to grab a drink. What I also love about living on a small island is how anywhere and everywhere you go you can see a boat and water. Charming, for real. Lindsay and I ended up staying and talking at Miller’s on the dock for 2 ½ hours! It was the most perfect way to spend a hot afternoon. Lindsay is teaching me how to speak West Virginia mountain and I point out where to get the best deal on large Geneva watches.
With that, my day was just about over. Lazy, hot, and slow moving, but beautiful in every aspect, just how I would always imagine it would be down here. And the best part about it is a day like today will be in many ways repeated tomorrow.
"The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience." -Eleanor Roosevelt


Hi Erica, its Basil here, from the coastal State of Goa in India. As is my wont in blogosphere, I go random often, and chanced upon your wonderful blog. Whatever little I skimmed through, got me eventually to read, hooked to and become your fan. Hereon, will be your faithful reader and well-wisher too. Atta gal, keep ya ass up always !!
ReplyDelete