Pages

"Adventure isn't hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life - facing new challenges, seizing new opportunities, testing our resources against the unknown, and in the process, discovering our own unique potential." _John Amatt

Monday, May 30, 2011

I Can Feel My Heart Beating Faster as I Step Out on My Own

Every summer since I was 14, I always kept a summer journal. It started because my birthday comes around just as the excitement of school ending and summer coming arrives, and my friend, Sara, bought me this black and pink journal with a brunette girl holding a shopping bag on the cover. When Memorial Day weekend rolled around that year (I always view that weekend as the official start of summer), I began writing in this journal. I started the journal with a list of my "summer goals." From that year on, every Memorial Day weekend I begin writing in a new summer journal. Many times, my friends will buy me a new one on my birthday, and sometimes, I go in search for the perfect journal myself. I always view my journal as the gateway to my summer, so it is very important that I use a journal that reflects what I expect or hope my summer will be. And each summer, the pages fill up with crazy stories and adventures that have occurred, hopes and dreams, and anything else that fills my summer days.

You see, summer to me is a beautiful time; those 3 months of warm weather, bonfires and staying up as late as you want no matter what you have going the next day. Every summer seems to be defined by several things including: one particular TV show that I seem to watch a lot (and it is always a different one each year somehow), my journal of course, and one song. This summer, being no different than the rest, these three things have already been established on accident. I never pick a show or a song on purpose, they usually just make their way into my life and I remember each summer by these things, among others, but these in particular.

First off, my 2011 Summer Journal:

This was actually given to me at my open house after high school graduation. I loved it as soon as I opened it. The people who gave it to me wrote a kind note expressing that they knew how much I loved writing and traveling and knew this would be perfect for me in the coming years. Since I already had a summer journal for that year started, I planned on waiting until just the right moment to begin writing in it. I kept it on my bookshelf for four years wondering would I would first open it up. This summer seemed to be like the perfect chance; leaving behind an old part of my life and beginning something totally new on my own, an extremely big adventure, and I had a feeling the pages of this journal had what it takes to hold all of the new events to come this summer. So far, it hasn’t let me down. You can call me a nerd, but I really enjoy the big spirals and the way the pages sound when you turn them! I know, weird, but it just feels right!

My 2011 summer TV show as of now is “Why Not with Shania Twain.”

Yes, I know this may also seem strange. I mean, obviously I watch the Bachelorette and How I Met Your Mother, but I watch those throughout the year anyway. Shania Twain’s “Why Not” is something that will only ever really be on this summer and I haven’t missed an episode yet. If you remember, I have loved Shania Twain since third grade. Seriously. I won’t get into it all again, but let’s just say I was pumped to find out that she started this show, haha. And, I somehow always end up crying at some point in it. Oh well, when the summer is over this will be that show that I remember watching late Sunday nights here on the muggy island while drinking my decaffeinated Hazelnut coffee and eating Publix sherbet. Stuff like that just doesn’t come around every day.

And finally, my 2011 summer song is, “One Way Ticket (Because I Can)” by LeAnne Rimes. It’s not a new song, by any means. In fact, it came out when I was in second or third grade. I specifically remember the Christmas I opened up this CD. I had asked my parents for a boom box (haha) and my dad bought me LeAnne Rimes’ first ever CD, this song being her debut song. I spent the entire Christmas break listening to this song over and over and over again. In fact, I am surprised the CD still worked for me to get it on my iPod. Right from then, I loved the song. It is so freeing and has always made me want to go out and be adventurous and live everyday to the fullest. When I was in second or third grade, I dreamt about who I would be when I ‘grew up.’ I definitely do not feel all that much older right now, despite the fact that really I am a grown up living on my own at the moment. But what I do know is that I still love this song and it so describes the place I am at in my life at this very moment, in the summer of 2011. Each line so beautifully illustrates the beginning of a new era and “stepping out on your own.” When I hear the song I can feel what she is singing about because I know what it is like to stand there looking out unaware of what exactly is to come, but diving into it and making it what you want. Not only do I love the lyrics, but the song already holds a special place to me because it reminds me of that Christmas when I got my first boom box, my first desk, the first time I began writing on pieces of notebook paper, and it especially reminds me of my dad. I heard the song again in the beginning of May and right away I knew I wanted to replay the song over and over again as I began this new adventure, so it has definitely become my “Summer ’11 Anthem.” Here are the lyrics:

"One Way Ticket (Because I Can)"

Standing on the border
Looking out into the great unknown
I can feel my heart beating faster as I step out on my own
There's a new horizon and the promise of favorable wind
I'm heading out tonight, traveling light
I'm gonna start all over again

And buy a one-way ticket on a west bound train
See how far I can go
I'm gonna go out dancing in the pouring rain
And talk to someone I don't know
I will face the world around me
Knowing that I'm strong enough to let you go
And I will fall in love again
Because I can

Gonna climb the mountain
And look the eagle in the eye
I won't let fear clip my wings and tell me how high I can fly
How could I have ever believed
That love had to be so blind
When freedom was waiting, down at the station
All I had to do was make up my mind

And buy a one-way ticket on a west bound train
See how far I can go
I'm gonna go out dancing in the pouring rain
And talk to someone I don't know
I will face the world around me
Knowing that I'm strong enough to let you go
And I will fall in love again
Because I can

Well, I have walked through the fire
And crawled on my knees through the valley of the shadow of doubt
Then the truth came shining like a light on me and now I can see my way out

I'm gonna buy a one-way ticket on a west bound train
See how far I can go
I'm gonna go out dancing in the pouring rain
And talk to someone I don't know

I'm gonna buy a one-way ticket on a west bound train
Gonna have my breakfast with some pink champagne
I'm gonna sail the ocean, I'm gonna spread my wings
I'm gonna climb that mountain, gonna do everything."

And so there you have it; the beginning of a whole new summer. I can’t wait to see what is in store – great things, I am sure! As of now, I am sitting here on the back porch listening to the ocean and drinking some pop…not a bad start to the summer, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment