Pages

"Adventure isn't hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life - facing new challenges, seizing new opportunities, testing our resources against the unknown, and in the process, discovering our own unique potential." _John Amatt

Monday, June 20, 2011

Never a Dull Day!

This past week has been nothing less than incredible. I know I say that a lot of things are great, but I am telling you that this last week has kicked some major butt. It was the combination of amazing seafood, hot sun and sand, tropical drinks every now and then, and the company of one amazing friend. Liz and I have had some great times in the past, so it is no surprise that our 8 days spent together down here in Boca were anything less than memorable. It would be selfish for me not to share some of the highlights. Please note that they may not sound as hilarious or remarkable as they sound, but trust me – they were.

On Liz's first day on the island, we went to town first then spent time by the pool reading and sweating to death until we had to jump in. Around dinner, we got ready and drove with the windows down in my jeep wrangler to Port Charlotte to watch a Stone Crabs baseball game with some of my friends. It doesn't get much better than baseball in the summer:
Although a not-so-good picture, Lindsey, Shaena and I did enjoy not only the baseball game and watching the characters who go to the games, but we also enjoyed a great steak burger (best one of my life!).
After the game, Liz and I ventured into Port Charlotte's Walmart. Walmart is always an adventure, and we decided that this particular Walmart is less hick than Huntington Indiana's. We also decided that Florida hicks are completely different than Indiana hicks.
On Friday morning, I took Liz to the Outlet at the Innlet; my favorite breakfast spot. It is right on the Bayou, and although hot, there is nothing like watching the boats and pelicans come in and out.
One of my favorite things about living on an island is how unreal-life everything seems to be. One minute we are having omlets in our dresses and the next minute we are meeting another friend on Tenth Street to layout for the rest of the afternoon. After Liz and I ate, Shaena asked if we wanted to meet her at one of the public beaches on the island. So, we hopped in the golf cart, drove home, changed, got back in the golf cart and drove to Tenth Street to spend the next few hours joking and telling stories of strange ocean creatures.
This picture is strange, I know. In between our beach time on Tenth Street, I had to run to the Inn, so I had to put on some 'work clothes.' So, I literally got in my cart, squeezed on my clothes (believe me; it is hard to get clothes on over a sandy wet body on a golf cart, but I did it), and walked two blocks to the Inn, then walked back and took the clothes off and was right back on the beach!
You know how you feel after you have fallen asleep by the beach in 100 degree heat? That groggy, where the heck am I feeling? Well, Liz and I felt that hardcore. We jumped in the water to cool off (well, sort of; the water is literally a warm 87 degrees!) and because of low golf cart battery, we walked to a store in town. We decided we would get some cheap wine for the night and then order out pizza and watch a movie. We looked like homeless freaks walking along the streets of Boca wet, sweaty, and sand covered, but we got our wine and ordered our pizza despite what seemed to be the longest walks of our lives. When we got back, we attempted to open up the wine. Let me just tell you that it took us a good fifteen minutes and LOTS of laughing to get this done. We would take turns working on it, until finally we got it and enjoyed our night.
One morning, it was time to go back to town and help Liz get a new dress; something quirky and said 'Boca' on it, something you wouldn't just find in a Macy's. We got in too early, so we drove down to the southern most point of the island to the lighthouse. We got there just in time to observe boat upon boat fishing for tarpon along this choppy part of the island. Boca Grande is the world's tarpon capitol. Bet you didn't know that, huh?
Saturday nights are the best nights on the island for two reasons: 1. the island is more inhabited with guests from all over and 2. Boca Bande plays at South Beach Bar and Grill. I wrote on Liz' "Boca To Do List" to have a South Beach experience. It is not just a place you go for good tuna or to watch the sunset; no, it is an entire experience that I guarantee you wont' find anywhere else. So, Liz and I geared up and after work, we headed to this island favorite for dinner. Shaena met up with us and the three of us sat at the same table for over 2 hours telling ridiculous stories and watching the sun set over the water. When 10:30 came, BocaBande came out! They remind me so much of the West Michigan band that plays every Fourth of July, Family Tradition! Boca Bande is notorious for always playing "Sweet Home Alabama," "Keep Your Hands to Yourself," "Friends in Low Places," and "Brown Eyed Girl," you know, the songs you would think a small town island band would play. But even better than that are the dancers. This is not like some dirty bar attracting just anyone, but instead one of the only places on island that stays open past midnight hosting all of the wealthy night owls. I saw dance moves at this place that I have never seen before. I also saw about everyone I know from the island there...but that is a whole different story that is for another time (but, surely a good story!).

Shaena, myself, and Liz never laughed so hard as we did Saturday night at South Beach!
Sunday...well, Sunday was a day like I have never experienced before. Work brought with it the strangest and most unforgettable experiences, but it would take me literally pages after pages to even try to explain that day. So, onto Monday. Monday afternoon, Shaena came over and the three of us sat in the sand and exfoliated our skin as the ocean crashed against us. It was the most perfect afternoon. We sat out there for hours, and Shaena built this lovely little sandcastle. Of course we ended the night watching the Bachelorette! Perfect Monday.
Liz and I took every chance we could when I wasn't working to spend time along the ocean. We both would read and laugh and have great conversations.
Liz and I before heading out to PJ's Seagrille for dinner! Little did we know in this picture that our evening would be one heck of an adventure!
After we went to PJ's for a great seafood dinner, we went to the Pink Elephant (owned by the Inn) for dessert and coffee. We made the bad decision of walking. Of course, our walk there led to a strange run-in with some random people sitting on their porch, and the walk back in the dark led us to thinking we were being chased in a golf cart by the six men who wouldn't stop looking/talking about us at the Pink (don't worry though, I saw Burchell, a guy I work with, standing outside by the Inn and we ran to him for protection). Definitely the adventure. Anyway, this was my sundae! It was massive and everyone in the restaurant was looking! This woman from Georgia kept insisting that she took a picture of Liz and I; well she wouldn't stop! She kept talking and going all over the restaurant getting pictures from every angle while the whole place was watching and Liz and I were laughing.
We went for a walk on our beach at sunset. We wanted someone to take our picture, but there was no one to be found. Finally, Liz saw her 'friend,' Tom, and of course he offered. This leads me to share with you a quote by me that pretty much defines our week with the men of Boca. This same night, Liz was talking to one of our friends from home and she shared with him some of our most bizarre situations. He asked how many guys hit on us (and when I say guys, that is a very broad term; we are talking guys from the ages of 14 to 75, but sad to say, most of them were very good looking...except for the few exceptions who were just plain creepy). Liz turned to me and asked, "Erica, how many guys hit on us this week?" I sat there for a second pondering the question, and in all seriousness, I cocked my head to the side thinking and said, "Well, there were those six last night..." We both burst out laughing realizing how ridiculous that sounded.
Oh, you know...just laughing at all of the too-weird-to-be-true adventures the past 8 days.
This dumb lizard taunted Liz and I at different times. They shoot these things down here because their population is growing. This one kept hissing me, trapping me between the porch and the garage! Liz finally came down wondering what was taking me so long.
Liz's last night, we went to The Temp to get something to drink. We were going to drive the golf cart, but naturally we forgot to charge the battery so we rode the bikes. Let me just tell you the ride home at 10 pm later that night seemed endless!
It was one amazing week, that is for sure! There are so many stories I have yet to share (including a high speed chase on a highway and a story with a man named Mr. Martinez, but those are more of a person-to-person conversation!). But needless to say, I wouldn't have traded this week, or any of my time down here for anything!

1 comment:

  1. came across your blog recently randomly & got hooked. find it an interesting read n became a follower, as I felt this is what a blog ought to be - write about one's thoughts and experiences as life takes them. keep up the good work gal. u r surely having fun there :P

    ReplyDelete