Pages

"Adventure isn't hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life - facing new challenges, seizing new opportunities, testing our resources against the unknown, and in the process, discovering our own unique potential." _John Amatt

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Happy Wednesday!

It is Wednesday. Middle of the week. Many people call today ‘Hump Day.’ I don’t really understand why. I guess they say it is because you made it over the hump and the rest of the week is downhill from here? That to me is just stupid though. And ‘hump day?’ Really? But, today has started off wonderfully, so maybe I should not be so critical.

The reason today has been great so far is because yesterday, it was 40 degrees out so all of the snow began to melt. Then, in the middle of the night, it got down to the teens. So what happened? That's right; everything froze, and I am talking everything. This also means that all schools, businesses, and highways from here to Indy are closed, including my work. It was a shocking surprise because today is also Chelsey and Christen's birthday, and some of us girls in our apartments were going to give them a little breakfast birthday celebration at 8:45 so I could still make it to work. So, instead of eating and then running to work, we were all able to eat, watch Regis and Kelly and read a little Cosmo. Not such a bad Wednesday morning. I love my friends, that is for sure!

Anyway, in celebration of the fact that the week is halfway over and the fact that I am in shorts and a really comfortable shirt instead of all dressed up, I would like to share with you a little story that always puts a smile on my face.

I know I have written before about how during Fourth of July weekend my family and I put on a Talent Show. It is intense. I would not say we are that talented of a family in regards to singing or being able to play an instrument, so this means that we get creative, and it is hilarious. We perform outside of the cottage right before the fireworks on the lake. Even the family dogs come out to watch. And that is where my story begins.

Many of you know about Scotty, the snotty West Highland Terrier that belongs to our family. He is precious sometimes, but he knows he is good looking and he struts his stuff with his tail high in the air. One of my favorite things about Scotty is his loyalty. He is not the kind of dog that loves everyone and will lick just anyone's face. No, no, no. That type of attention is only given to the select 12 of us in our extended family. Any other stranger who wants to pet him he has to force himself to be nice. When people come up to him and reach out their hands, he barely stretches his head to them basically saying, "Alright, I guess you can pet me, but make it quick."

Well, during this particular Talent Show, Scotty was misbehaving. We ended up putting him back inside of the cottage so he would not disturb the show (did I mention we were intense with this Talent Show?). In between acts, I went inside quick to get some coffee. When i walked in, the first thing I saw was the leftovers from my mom's lasagna dinner lying all over the floor. Someone had dug into the trash, took out the paper plates, and began to eat whatever was left on them. Had to be Scotty.

Then, I went behind the opened trash, and saw the little culprit. There he was, eating and licking the pan that my mom had made the lasagna in, just loving life. I yelled, "Scotty!!" And with that, Scotty's white little furry body jumped. He had no idea I was there. He looked up at me, and knew he did wrong.

And instead of running away or ignoring me like most dogs, Scotty sat down right next to the pan he licked up, his fur around his face red from the lasagna, and just sat there looking at me. He just stared, waiting for me to tell him that it was okay, and he was still the best and snottiest little dog around. In fact, he stayed in that position long enough for me to get this classic picture with Scotty and the completely empty pan of lasagna.

With that, Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment