Pages

"Adventure isn't hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life - facing new challenges, seizing new opportunities, testing our resources against the unknown, and in the process, discovering our own unique potential." _John Amatt

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Safe Place

So, I am sick. We all could have seen this one coming. My body was telling me this about three weeks ago, and now I finally believe it. I am going to say it now though; it is only going to get worse from here. You want to know why? Because it is almost one in the morning and I am not sleeping despite the fact that I am exhausted, my throat is on fire, I can’t stop sneezing, and even though I took a lot of medicine, my nose is still running. And, on top of that, life can’t just stop just because my body wants to. I still have tests and projects and other stuff to get done before Friday, and instead of letting my body get the much deserved sleep and relaxation that it deserves, I am writing. Some things are so twisted.

I am not going to lie to you now; I have had a bad week. A lot of it is because of me, because it is what I know was supposed to happen, and some of it is just because life is life and it can’t always be great. I could lie on here easily and no one would ever really know, unless you are in my inner circle. But, lying and pretending that all these wonderful things that have made my life amazing the past seven days seems even more exhausting to me than studying for chemistry. And my writing would not be as good if I were lying as it would be if I were telling the truth. So, to spare me being even more tired and to spare you reading awful writing, I am going to be honest; I have had a bad week. Tennis ended, forever for me. Other things in my life ended. I got sick. And so it goes.

If I did not have school pressures and the fact that I am a senior and skipping two weeks of school would inhibit me from graduating, I would have (I guarantee you) bought tickets to Italy and spent two weeks developing new hobbies and writing. But, that is not how things work, and sometimes you just can’t do what you feel like doing, hah. And I mean going to a school the size of your pinky finger doesn’t help much either in times like these [this is where I remind myself only a few more days until fall break].

The most anyone can hope for when you feel like running away is a safe place. A place you can go and complain, fall asleep, share your true feelings and know that the people there will have your back. In my friends, Beth, Carrie, Kellyn, and Brittany’s apartment, they have a sign made by our other friend Emily that says, “Safe Place.” They hung it over their door. Whenever anyone starts to share something, someone always points to the sign and says, “This is a safe place.” It always makes me laugh, and this week I am more than overjoyed to know that this safe place exists. I mean, I don’t know any other place that allows someone to just walk on in whenever, eat some licorice (sorry, guys), fall asleep on their chair whenever, leave past the time they go to bed, or have people in it htat make you laugh when you feel like crying. I very much appreciate this safe place, and all of the fun times that are had there!

Thanks, ladies, for making a bad week seem not so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment