I don't know what it was when I was a little girl. Maybe it was the fact that Shania actually had brown curly hair and seemed independent. I don't totally know, but I do know that from the time I was about 8 years old, I loved Shania Twain. The first song that I ever heard from her was "Any Man of Mine." The lyrics caught my attention even when I was just a small girl who didn't even really understand...but, none-the-less, from that moment I really did believe that "any man of mine better be proud of me, even when I'm ugly he still better love me, and I can be late for a date that's fine, but he better be on time." Perhaps I can blame some of my annoying independence on this song?
Then, I saw the music video. I officially became her biggest fan. There she was in ripped jeans, a grungy bandana, dancing around with horses, and that is when I knew that is all that I wanted out of life. A cabin in the wilderness with some horses. My eight year old self did not care about how I would actually earn money. I just knew that the simplicity of a life taking a bath in a trough was where it was at. As the years went by, I still loved that song. I remember listening to it on my portable CD player as I earned money mowing for my aunt and just loving life in that moment, and not worrying about anything else. It seemed like then all innocense and wonder was unbroken and true enjoyment came from just living.
I am not saying that it is not like that now. It is just different. Now I know about 'life' and now I have actual responsibilities and deadlines and stresses and worries. I can no longer go out by the creek and dance around in wripped jeans to "Any Man of Mine." But, the song sure does bring back some beautiful memories of my beautiful childhood. And as silly as it seems, I am so glad that I stumbled upon this song again tonight to remember the simple stuff and to relive those times of being young.

Oh, and one more thing: I will always be Shania's biggest fan :) haha, and I am making a promise now to do some horseback riding this summer and listen to some country music. Can't wait.

No comments:
Post a Comment